Code of Ethics
(Bylaws: Article XVI)
- The Genealogy Friend …
- Promotes a coherent, truthful approach to genealogy, family history and local history.
- Presents research results and opinions in a clear, well-organized manner; fully and accurately cites sources; does not withhold, suppress, or knowingly misquote or misinterpret sources or data.
- Promotes the trust and security of genealogical consumers.
- Honestly abides by agreements regarding project scope, number of hours, and deadlines or reporting schedules; keeps adequate, accessible records of financial and project-specific contacts with the consumer; and does not knowingly violate or encourage others to violate laws and regulations concerning copyright, right of privacy, business finances, or other pertinent subjects.
- Supports records access and preservation.
- Is courteous to research facility personnel and treats records with care and respect; supports efforts to locate, collect, and preserve the records by compiling, cataloging, reproducing, and indexing documents; and does not mutilate, rearrange or remove from its proper custodian any printed, original microfilm, or electronic records.
- Promotes the welfare of the genealogical community.
- Gives proper credit to those who supply information and provide assistance; does not knowingly supplant another researcher; encourages applicable education, accreditation, and certification; and refrains from public behavior, oral remarks, or written communications that defame the profession, individual genealogists, or the Genealogy Friends of Plano Libraries, Inc.